A candle symbolizes the fire element and is greatly coveted by the Wiccans to perform spells so as to conjure positive energy in life. Mysticurious discusses the significance of candle spells in the Wiccan belief system.
Always have a justified and positive reason to cast a candle spell. Do not intentionally cast revenge spells with a motive to harm others as it may have a disastrous effect on you.
Candles have always been a part of ancient rituals and prayer sessions, they not only provide light but also a soothing atmosphere during troubled times. We see candles almost in every aspect of life be it on a revered altar or wedding or as a source of comfort during death.
Casting spells through candles is the simplest and easiest way of practicing magic, hence it’s also known as sympathetic magic. Wiccans use candle as a potent magical tool as it contains all the basic natural elements of earth, wind, fire, and water. Earth is symbolized by the wax, water is symbolized by the melted wax, the flame symbolizes fire and air is symbolized by the smoke. The color of the candles are considered to be very important as the different colors usher in their own energy and power. Each of the element is denoted by a single colored candle, green is for earth, yellow is for air, blue is for water and red is for fire.
A candle conceives its own vibration and can be used as a medium of meditation and divination. Given below are the various meanings of the colored candles and the related spells and rituals practiced by the Wiccans.
Candle Spell Tips
● Always use a new, clean, and unused candle for the spell ritual. Use just one candle for one specific goal or purpose.
● Small, thin wax light candles or consecrated ones are best used for spells that involve the candle to burn out by itself. Other spells may necessitate you to light and snuff out the same candle over a period of various days.
● Every spell requires the anointing of the candle which is initiated by rubbing the candle with small amount of natural oil or aromatic oil such as grape-seed, virgin olive, cinnamon, almond or jojoba oil. Blessing and protection spells require sanctified or auspicious oil. Rubbing the candle with your fingertips instills the candle with your vitality and positive intention.
● The candle must be anointed with oil in the following ways:
1. Begin at the top of the candle and rub downward towards the middle. Next, anoint from the base of the candle towards the middle where the first oil coat ended.
2. Begin from the middle of the candle and anoint towards the top and then towards the base.
● A beeswax candle has more magic potential.
● Engraving the candle with the desired wish symbol can bring more prominence and fulfillment of the spell according to ancient Wiccan traditions. For example: engraving a heart on pink candle for love spell will make it more effective.
● Most of the candles can be found and purchased from the Wiccan or New Age stores.
● Instead of blowing always snuff out the flame as this will contain the candle’s energy.
Lunar Phases and Candle Spells
● Just like the different colored candles which signify specific goals and spells, it is also important to check the lunar phase before casting your spell. Lunar phases play an important role as each phase is tailor-made for a particular occasion in life.
● New Moon symbolizes new adventures and new beginnings hence if you wish to cast love spells, job spells, and healing spells, this phase is beneficial.
● A Waxing Moon symbolizes the appropriate time for positive magic spells such as gain your love back spells, wealth and success spells, spells for courage, friendship, and good luck.
● A Full Moon symbolizes increased paranormal sensing and is the proper time to invoke the blessings of the lunar Goddess regarding fertility, gaining of psychic powers, and prophetic dream spells. Spells that require extra energy such as seeking a new job or healing of a serious medical condition works well during the full moon.
● A Waning Moon symbolizes the appropriate time to perform destructive magic spells, negative conjurations, and banishing curses, hexes, and jinxes spells, spells to end bad relationships, reverse love spells, break away from bad habits, cure addictions and diminish fever, pain and sickness.
Spells for Days of the Week
● Sunday: (signifies the Sun) is appropriate to cast spells ostracizing evil powers, dispossession, to advocate healing, and for prosperity.
Candle colors: orange, white, yellow.
● Monday: (signifies the Moon) is appropriate to cast spells necessitating purge, protection, the goddess, fertility, receiving of important messages, reconciliation, thievery and voyages.
Candle colors: silver, white, gray.
● Tuesday: (signifies Mars) is appropriate to cast spells invoking courage, energy, physical strength, stimulation, relegating negativity, seeking revenge, military honor, and success during medical surgery.
Candle colors: red, orange.
● Wednesday: (signifies Mercury) is appropriate to cast spells revolving around communication, fortune telling, writing, knowledge, wisdom, study and business dealings.
Candle colors: yellow, gray, purple, and all opalescent hues.
● Thursday: (signifies Jupiter) is appropriate to cast spells invoking luck, wealth, happiness, health, solving of legal issues, male fertility issues, curing animals, and prosperity in agriculture.
Candle colors: blue, brown.
● Friday: (signifies Venus) is appropriate to cast spells invoking blessings in love, beauty, sex, marriage, friendships and partnerships.
Candle colors: pink.
● Saturday: (signifies Saturn) is appropriate to cast spells invoking paranormal communication, meditation, defense against psychic attack, finding lost things or missing people, and promoting change.
Candle colors: black, blue, gray, purple.
Wiccan Candle Spells: Color and Significance
☀ White symbolizes the female energy and vibrates with the Wiccan tradition of the veneration of the Moon Goddess. It represents purity, spirituality, clear vision, peace, spiritual enlightenment, and life-giving.
☀ It is used during rite of passage rituals of birth, marriage, and welcoming of new ventures, it is also used to cast protection, cleansing, healing, astral guidance, spirit summoning, balancing aura, and building positive health.
White candle Blessing spell
☀ Sending a good luck or charm across to your loved one can be easily done through this spell.
☀ Write down the particular blessing you wish for on a piece of paper focusing on all the positive energy.
☀ Carve the name of the intended loved one on the candle.
☀ Anoint the candle with oil, could be sacred or fragrant oil.
☀ Close your eyes and think of your loved one and wish for their positive blessing for a few minutes, then snub out the flame.
☀ Gray symbolizes neutral energy and dispels an aura of invisibility while banishing negativity, they can be used all time of the year to cast spells.
☀ Gray is used to cast clairvoyance spells, remove negative aspects of magic, and cleanse aura.
☀ Gold symbolizes wealth and prosperity.
☀ Gold is used to cast money, financial and business gains, safety, creativity, and self-confidence spells.
Gold candle Money spell
☀ Anoint a gold candle with oil.
☀ Take a golden piece of paper and write down your wish for increase in wealth.
☀ Light the candle and close your eyes visualizing on the wish and invoking the universe to grant your wish.
☀ Once you have visualized and wished on the paper, light the paper with the flame of the candle and let it burn.
☀ Place the burning paper in a fire-proof vessel and let it burn completely.
☀ Leave the golden candle till it burns out on its own.
☀ Pink symbolizes romantic love, friendship, and affection.
☀ Pink is used to cast true love, romance, rekindle old love, attraction of new love, and well-being of family and friends spells.
Pink candle Love spell
☀ Anoint the pink candle with 100% virgin olive oil.
☀ While anointing the candle visualize your love or the new love you wish to attract.
☀ Carve the name of your love or a heart on the candle.
☀ Close your eyes and visualize your wish for few minutes.
☀ Let the candle burn out completely on its own.
☀ Anoint the pink candle with fragrant oil, after anointing leave the candle on the window sill during new moon at night. This is believed to attract and call out to love in your life.
☀ Blue symbolizes wisdom, intuition, occult power, and higher spiritual attainment.
☀ Blue is used to cast spells related to wisdom, meditation, concentration, summonsing entities, healing, sincerity, obtaining the truth, influencing fidelity and loyalty, bringing inner peace, establishing harmony at home, for increasing occult power, and for spiritual protection.
Blue candle Wisdom spell
☀ Anoint the blue candle with fragrant oil.
☀ While anointing the candle visualize your wish and matter on which you need wisdom and enlightenment.
☀ Close your eyes and visualize your wish for few minutes.
☀ Let the candle burn out completely on its own.
☀ Green symbolizes good luck, success, fertility, and harmony.
☀ Green is used to cast spells related to healing, plant growth, growth of money, encourage profits or resources, finding steady job, and good fortune.
Green candle Wealth & Success spell
☀ Cast this spell on a Thursday preferably during the waning moon, anoint a green and gold candle with sacred oil.
☀ While anointing the candle visualize your prosperity and financial success.
☀ Carve the words ‘money’ and ‘prosperity’ on them, hold both the candles in your hand.
☀ Close your eyes and visualize your wish for prosperity, success, and wealth for few minutes.
☀ Recite these words with closed eyes: “These candles will bring wealth to me in a way that does no one harm”.
☀ Red symbolizes energy, strength, sexual vitality, and courage.
☀ Red is used to cast spells related to willpower, passion, clear intention, caution, athletic energy, and improve love-making in couples.
☀ Yellow symbolizes good intellect, memory, and creativity.
☀ Yellow is used to cast spells related to obtaining success in exams, and for increasing one’s intelligence, improve communication, improve mental health, to deepen concentration, to enhance learning ability, and for enhancing language, writing, and publishing skills.
☀ Black symbolizes banishing or diminishing negative energies and also protection.
☀ Black is used to cast spells related to protection, binding and reversal of spells, bring discord and confusion to enemies, breaking up obstacles and emotional blocks, obtain fresh beginnings, and cognition of concealed things.
Black candle Protection spell
☀ Cast this spell with a black candle and salt to banish negativity and obtain protection for your house. Salt is considered as a purifying agent in Wiccan culture.
☀ Sprinkle salt on the outer posts of your doors and windows chanting : “Sacred Salt protect this house, Keep it safe from thug and louse? Protect all those who dwell inside, Negative forces have no place to hide.”
☀ Come back in and draw a circle of salt around the black candle, light the candle and close your eyes and chant: “Sacred Candle, Sacred Flame, Protect this household in your name.”
☀ Keep chanting till you feel connected with the universe and feel the protection flowing inside your house.
☀ Then snuff the candles out, after that light the candles each evening and repeat the ritual till they burn out completely.
☀ Orange symbolizes authority and ambition.
☀ Orange is used to cast spells related to property deals, career, law problems, attract luck and control, and prophetic dreams.
☀ Brown symbolizes earthly goals and animal protection.
☀ Brown is used to cast spells related to self-esteem, protection of household pets, earth magic and telepathic concentration, nurturing, and finding lost things.
☀ Purple symbolizes material riches, more eminent psychic ability, spiritual power and noble-mindedness.
☀ Purple is used to cast spells related to financial gains, increasing psychic ability, obtaining wisdom and divination, to remove curses, for obtaining healing, business success, and for molding people in power.
Purple Candle Dream Spell
☀ Cast this spell with a purple candle, small square-shaped piece of purple fabric, black marker, and large stone of amethyst.
☀ Draw an eye with the marker on the fabric, candle, and stone, then place all of them on an altar.
☀ Light the candle, then place the stone on the fabric in such a way that the eyes match each other, place the fabric on your forehead near the psychic third eye location.
☀ Look towards the flame of the candle and chant “open it”, visualizing your intuitive third eye being opened on the forehead.
☀ Then let the candle burn out, you can sleep with the piece of fabric under your pillow to get psychic, prophetic or intuitive dreams.
Candle Flame Interpretation
● The way in which the flame of the candle burns during the spell has hidden meanings. A steady flame indicates that the spell has worked and the blessings or the desired wish will be granted.
● If it burns with a hissing sound then there is a spirit, an angel, or a paranormal entity around who wishes to communicate with you. On such an occasion, close your eyes and concentrate to receive the message or guidance.
● If the flame sparks then it indicates that what you have wished for is delusional.
● If the flame dips and remains unsteady, it indicates that the spell is not working and could also mean that the intended purpose won’t be fulfilled easily.
Candle spells are thus considered to be a significant part of Wiccan rituals since they add immense positivity in life if used in the right way. These spells are simple and devoid of any religious atmosphere, materials, or setting; and care must be taken to maintain the sanctity of these spells.